Today’s target was to make it into Slovakia before nightfall, however it’s still taking me over an hour to load up in the morning (which I know will get easier and quicker over the next few days) and just before the Austria border it caned it down. So much so I had to get off the autobahn and let it die down as visibility was poor and I was starting to worry about being caught from behind by someone who didn’t see me in the spray, so discretion over valor meant losing another hour.
Miles today: 480
Despite that it was a great day’s riding. I like Germany and here are some reasons why
- You can ride as fast as you want on the Autobahn (some times) – which is a good thing
- The scenery is stunning, even from the autobahn – which is a good thing
- They like their rivers big and beautiful – the Thames Estuary may be big but it ain’t beautiful
- They have cake at breakfast – which is a good thing
- One word – Rammstein, German rock at it’s best
- Lovely young German ladies wave and smile from the back of an Opel Corsa (at least, I think they were waving)
The Tiger is performing brilliantly. Even with extra load and and 17 stone of me on it, it just eats up the big miles. The temptation to take advantage of the unrestricted German highways was too much and a ton plus was easy even with the boxes and extra tyres strapped to the back.
Song of the day from the iPod… well two today
- Mr. Big’s live version of Baba O’Riley just as I pulled out of a petrol station and opened up the throttle – got the blood flowing
- Bad Things – Jace Everett – was playing as those German ladies started waving (True Blood theme and a cracking album)
What have I learned today? It doesn;t matter how hard it rains, you’ll soon dry out